Re: In defense of VC [was: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit]

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: In defense of VC [was: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit]
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 16:10:27 +0200

On 2017-07-11, at 13:48, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>   > > Should we add a command to specify "mark all the modified files for
>   > > this commit"?
>
>   > What Magit does is that if you try to commit with nothing staged, it
>   > offers to stage everything that has changed.  This seems reasonable.
>
> VC does not know about staging.  For it to what you've suggested here
> would mean a large change.

Obviously.  What I meant was for VC to do something along the lines of
"if trying to commit with nothing marked to commit, offer to commit
everything that has changed".  Sorry for my poor wording.

> Maybe that change would be useful, so try writing it if you wish.  But
> I think what we want here is a simple fix.

I don't think I'd be able to do that, especially now that I am quite
busy.  And the staging concept might be difficult to fit into the VC
framework anyway.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski