Re: Emacs 25.2, win64, env vars

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.2, win64, env vars
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:24:15 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 11:17:29 +0200
> Cc: Noam Postavsky <address@hiddennet>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
>  Do you still see this problem on the current master? I don't see your
>  proposed change committed, but I cannot reproduce the problem,
>  either. Was this fixed in some other way?
>
> A bit strange, because I just did a 'make bootstrap' on master, and I still see the problem.

I see a possible misunderstanding here.  Your OP included more than
one problematic recipe, so which one are you trying now?

I didn't intend it to be more than one problematic recipe.
I intended it to be the log of a few forms evaluated in sequence to show
onl oe problem.

The first recipe you've shown is this:

  (getenv "TEMP")
  "C:\\Users\\Fabrice\\AppData\\Roaming\\Local\\Temp"
  (getenv "temp")
  "C:\\Users\\Fabrice\\AppData\\Roaming\\Local\\Temp"

  (setenv "TEMP" "c:/Temp/")
  "c:/Temp/"
  (getenv "TEMP")
  "C:\\Users\\Fabrice\\AppData\\Roaming\\Local\\Temp"
  (getenv "temp")
  "C:\\Users\\Fabrice\\AppData\\Roaming\\Local\\Temp"

Is this still what you see now?

Yes.

If so, does it mean that after
invoking 'setenv', your process-environment has 2 members which both
start with "TEMP=", but have different values?  Because _this_ is what
I cannot reproduce and frankly don't understand how could it happen.

And now I understand the reason why you don't see the problem.
I compile emacs from a mingw64 prompt. I have started emacs from the msys2 bash.
This is what messes up the environment.

One one hand, I would say that my proposed fix is harmless and makes sure case insensitive search is used
for platforms where env vars are supposed to be case insensitive.
On the other hand, the problem is the msys2 bash.

Fabrice