Sharp-quoting function symbols (Was: Native line numbers landed on maste

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Sharp-quoting function symbols (Was: Native line numbers landed on master)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:18:40 +0000

Hello all,

I can speak for myself that I religiously follow the convention to use #'SYMBOL instead of 'SYMBOL where SYMBOL is expected to be a function in the form where it's used; exactly for the reasons that Stephan mentioned. In addition, to the user it becomes evident if that symbol is expected to be a function or not.

I use that convention in my emacs config, packages, etc. I have even seen that convention in many other packages and configs too, from what I follow on emacs.stackexchange, reddit, etc.

This[1] is a very popular post out in the wild, by Artur Malabarba that explains why and when one should use sharp-quotes or hash-quotes.

If we are counting votes to add this to the official documentation, my vote is in :)

[1]: http://endlessparentheses.com/get-in-the-habit-of-using-sharp-quote.html

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 1:48 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> As long as we (or, rather, you) tell others to prefer that style, it's
> not way down the list.

I didn't tell anyone to prefer that style, actually (or at least,
I tried to write it such that it doesn't say that, maybe I failed).
I just wanted to point out that recentish changes make the difference
between 'foo and #'foo slightly more visible and as a result you might
like to reconsider your recommendation to strip the #.  You might still
decide that the # is too ugly to keep it where it's not
absolutely needed.
--

Kaushal Modi