Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:57:06 -0400

  > 2. The Emacs web site

You mean /software/emacs, right?  I would call that a directory,
not a web site.

                          has a two-line menu, but no “Contributing” item
  > in that menu. One has to go through “Documentation & Support”, ...

These suggestions make sense to me.

Nicolas Petton maintains those pages, I believe.
If he likes these ideas, would people like to help him implement them?

  > 3. The ELPA site, <http://elpa.gnu.org/>, says this near the bottom of
  > the home page: “To contribute new packages refer to the README”, where
  > README is a link to another Org-like plain text file that discusses
  > technicalities without mentioning copyright paperwork.

  > **Suggestions:**

  > * Make that README an attractively formatted, well-structured web page
  > or a collection of pages.

  > * Explain copyright assignment and alternatives there, too.

These are good ideas.  Don't the Emacs maintainers maintain that site?

  > 4. The MELPA site is not your competitor. It is there to fill a need,
  > both for users and package authors.

I will be talking with them when I'm sure of what to say.

--
Dr Richard Stallman