emacs.org website [was Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA pac

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: emacs.org website [was Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads]
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 13:49:56 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I will suggest doing that.

Before you ask people to do work, I'd encourage you to explore what
the options are, what the consequences would be, and what the people
who maintain Emacs and its website think (if that's a factor; this
topic is currently buried in a long unrelated thread). There seem to
be various options:

1) Make emacs.org the canonical Emacs homepage address. This would be a
fair bit of work to update all the links that exist in Emacs and
elsewhere (obviously there would be a redirect from the old site, but
you'd still want links updated). IMO such a move would de-emphasize the
relation to GNU.

2) Make emacs.org a duplicate of gnu.org/s/emacs. Requires some work
on the current site contents, which assume a gnu.org address.
Frankly I don't see the benefit of this approach.

3) Redirect emacs.org to gnu.org/s/emacs. Easy. May as well.

Obviously I'm not the target of this proposal, since I don't care what
URL I use to access a site, unless it's very long, and gnu.org/s/emacs
is short enough for me.