Re: master d014a5e: Use fixed-pitch font for display-line-numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master d014a5e: Use fixed-pitch font for display-line-numbers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 18:57:29 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:13:02 +0700
> Cc: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>

> >> Why fixed-pitch-serif? fixed-pitch should be sufficient.
> >
> > I'm not sure I understand: sufficient for what?  These are two
> > different families.
>
> Maybe, but the name ‘fixed-pitch-serif’ suggests a particular
> presentation (a serif font), while ‘fixed-pitch’ does not.

AFAIU, fixed-pitch just means Sans Serif, so it is also a particular
presentation in that sense.

> Based on face names alone, I would expect that it is more likely for
> ‘fixed-pitch’ to be the same family as ‘default’ than for
> ‘fixed-pitch-serif’.

What is that expectation based on?  I don't see anything in the
definitions of these faces and the family aliases they use to suggest
something other than simple heuristics regarding good fonts available
on various platforms.  And fixed-pitch definitely doesn't yield the
same font as the default face on my system.  I tried to explain the
reasons in another message regarding the same issue.