Re: Please explain the FSF copyright assignment thing

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Please explain the FSF copyright assignment thing
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:42:04 +0200

John Yates <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps you should ask why Richard decided that Magit, among all
> of the many non-FSF copyright assigned packages that emacs users
> recommend to one another, was so intolerable as to justify suggesting
> mounting a - to my mind doomed - competing project.  It was not as if
> all of those recommendations are for some proprietary or non-GPL-V3+
> package.

You are taking this the wrong way: Richard's request is a compliment,
not an attack.

If org-mode were not distributed with Emacs, I'm sure Richard would be
requesting the same about that package.

> Happily the community has rallied to Jonas' cause and will now try to
> bring Magit into the FSF fold.

What "cause" is that? Richard wants Magit into Emacs core, which Jonas
agrees with (with some caveats, some of them unfounded, IMHO). *If* that
goal cannot be accomplished, Richard's alternative is to develop a new
package for the same purpose. I can't see why Jonas or anyone else could
be offended by someone starting a competing project.

Really, guys, you are making a drama out of nothing.

BTW, I'm convinced that it is possible to create a new, original Git
frontend that improves upon Magit on a significant way. That said, Magit
is good enough.