Re: Improving GNU ELPA

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Improving GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:07:01 +0100

Etienne Prud’homme <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> PS: BTW, to clarify my position: if it were up to me, I'd get rid of the
>>     copyright assignment policy for GNU ELPA (and for Emacs as well,
>>     while we're at it), but I'd keep the "locally hosted in a repository
>>     to which we have write access, with commit-diffs".
>
> Making a web application for describing the need and the process of the
> paperwork.  I mean by that a simple 3-4 clicks process.

A web interface with an current status and easy navigation would be a
great addition, I think.

> 3. validate the information to send and that the employer would allow
>    such thing.  In case the work might be done on the company’s time,
>    ask a confirmation from the company (similar to step 2).

It's irrelevant when the work is done unfortunately. If you are employed
as a programmer, then a priori your employer has a strong claim on the
copyright of any code you right.

So, you have to get a disclaimer. This is one of those things that can
take quite a while, especially if you work for a big company.

> All of those things could be done from the web browser (and also from
> Emacs).  We could make a web application for that that could be used by
> other projects.  A copyright assignment could be done in 5min.

It's worth a try for sure!

Phil