Re: In Support of ELPA

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: In Support of ELPA
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 11:02:43 +0100

>   > If the outside host is someone who has write access to ELPA does it make
>   > any difference?
>
> The difference is whether the Emacs maintainers have write access
> to those sources in their main repository.

Personally, I think this is not necessary. The Emacs maintainers can use
PRs if they need to.

Ultimately, if we accept the notion of a "downstream" it's far easier to
make all changes there, rather than have to manage changes from two
places. The ELPA repo isn't really set up well for development: it has a
large number of independent projects in one place, and uses branches for
something else.

Reducing the friction of ELPA would include removing the necessity for
changing the version control practices of existing projects.

Phil