Re: GnuTLS build-time configuration

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: GnuTLS build-time configuration
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 17:16:55 -0700

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
those pieces
were not introduced at the same time. Also they may not be available
with the same API in a future version.

Sure, but I don't see how the 'configure'-time check solves this problem. Although some of those pieces were introduced before GnuTLS v3, the 'configure'-time checks do not look for these pieces in older GnuTLS platforms, presumably because their semantics changed or because we're not sure they'll really work in these older versions. So although the 'configure'-time check might look like it's checking the API, it's really doing a version-number check as well, and to some extent it's really the version number that is calling the shots.

Normally I'm a fan of the Autoconf Way, where one tests behavior and not version numbers. Here, though, we have just one implementation with a well-documented relationship between version number and API symbols, along with a 'configure'-time check that already relies on version numbers, so the Autoconf Way is not so useful here.