Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:25:56 +0300

> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 05:34:04 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Yuri D'Elia <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 00:02:15 +0200
> >
> > Is there a way to customize the face on a line basis, like
> > `linum-format' allows?
>
> No.

We could add a face to be used for each line number that is a multiple
of some number N, which could be specified by the user, if enough
people would like such a feature.  But I don't think it's a good idea
to call a Lisp function when we produce line numbers, as that would
slow down redisplay too much.  Don't forget that redisplay is called
for even the simplest operations, like cursor motion commands, and in
many cases it will have to call that function for (almost) all the
lines visible in the window.