Re: Continuous integration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Continuous integration
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 00:36:13 +0300

On 7/14/17 11:08 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

I think everyone is waiting. Besides me, no one else seems to have used
the test GitLab instance.

All the latest builds there are broken now.

And no email notifications means no actual usage.

I strongly encourage everyone to look around
the Hydra instance we use today, GitLab, BuildBot, and other CI systems
they may know.

I suspect what we actually need to do is to

- (optionally) Build a table of check marks with how the CI options correspond to the criteria we've enumerated. - Nag the Emacs maintainers and the FSF personnel about giving us a hardware, or even setting up a GitLab instance themselves, for the Emacs developers to use. - (important) Somehow deal with the perpetually-broken build and _set up email notifications_. There is no other practical way to encourage everyone to use the CI. And that's more essential than a (reasonable) choice of the CI server.

I think the voting may be considered optional since Richard more or less okay'd a FSF GitLab installation. If somebody actively disagrees, nobody said we absolutely have to have just one CI server.

On the subject of checkmarks, though:

- GitLab is reasonably feature-rich, and it has a Web UI that's familiar to many younger developers. Which is a huge plus. Code Review capability included. - BuildBot seemingly has no code review capability, and seems to be only a lego-like system for a ultimately flexible build pipelines. Not our primary pain point, I think. - Hydra is fairly limited in terms of features (not code review, for one thing) and has a minimal UI. It's also broken at the moment (http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/emacs-trunk isn't functional, and there are JS errors if you open the Error Console; CORS seems to be the problem).

So GitLab seems to come ahead as an obvious winner to me. If you really want us to vote, probably better to put that call into a new thread, instead of deep in the innards of this one.