Re: Improving GNU ELPA

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Improving GNU ELPA
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:46:38 +0100

Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>>   git fetch elpa
>>>   git filter-branch
>>
>> That's only for the "subtree" packages.  You can use an "external"
>> package, in which case the package has its own branch.
>>
>>> So I think the focus should be on enabling "one repository per package"
>>
>> One repository per package would be a bit more convenient in some cases,
>> admittedly, but one branch per package is not that bad.
>
> That works for me, and I suspect for many others too.

I have used a branch for my packages so that it (mostly) remains as
simple as git pull/git push.

It does bring some added complexity, as the git pull is a potential
merge. In the case of magit, this is not going to be a problem as you
know how to use git well: you can avoid the merge if you want or deal
with it if you want. For others, it might be a little harder. It is why
I think ELPA should be modified by PRs where an upstream exists. Having
a branch makes this easier also.

Phil