Re: Getting the correct line/column numbers on byte compilation error/wa

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Getting the correct line/column numbers on byte compilation error/warning messages
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:56:54 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 15:42:00 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>         Stefan "who'd actually prefer a «real» solution rather than
>                 another hack, but beggars can't be choosers"

I've been thinking about this for nearly a year, and I can't conceive of
a "real" solution which doesn't involve redesigning the byte compiler
from scratch (or even one which does).  Lisp source code doesn't seem to
lend itself to keeping track of source positions as the forms are
manipulated, taken apart, and put together again.

Can you conceive of some better scheme by which accurate line/column
numbers can be output by error messages, and which doesn't involve
rewriting the byte compiler?

What I do anticipate about my hack is, assuming I ever get it working,
it will produce the correct source code positions all the time, not just
most of the time.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).