Installing Emacs from source: the command `C-h v` for accessing variable

From: Itai Berli
Subject: Installing Emacs from source: the command `C-h v` for accessing variables doesn't work
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:40:24 +0300

I have installed the latest development version of Emacs on my Mac from the source (this is the first time I'm installing Emacs from source), by cloning the Git repository here: https://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=emacs ('Emacs source repository' under 'Anonymous clone'), and then executing `make` in the repo's top directory.

It didn't go smoothly, but only because I didn't have some prerequisites installed (namely, `Autoconf` and `gnutls`, and the OS X command-line tools). Once I'd installed the prerequisites (`Autoconf` and `gnutls` with `Homebrew`, and the OS X command-line tools by running `xcode-select --install`), the `make` script completed successfully.

However, when I open the Emacs GUI (<installation directory>/nextstep/Emacs), there's no splash screen, and instead of the usual *GNU Emacs* buffer, the *scratch* buffer opens initially.

More importantly, when I try to inspect variables by executing `C-h v`, the following error message appears in the echo buffer: 'Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, help-fns'.

Why doesn't the `C-h v` command work, and how can I view and set a variable's value as well as inspect the info about a variable?

---

I run macOS Sierra version 10.12.5 (the latest release as of today).