Re: line-number-mode at EOB

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: line-number-mode at EOB
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 10:30:36 -0400

>>> If this change is accepted, then the command `what-line' should probably
>>> also be changed to return "EOB" at EOB.  (Such a change makes sense even
>> This seems rather undesirable (same for the %l change to display EOB
>> rather than the line number).
> Why (in both cases)?  Does it cause some misbehavior or is it otherwise
> problematic?

Because it gives less information, IMO.  I think if we want to make
things consistent with the display-line-numbers, then it's
display-line-numbers which should be changed to also display the number
on the "non-existing" line after a final LF.  If that's too difficult,
then I prefer to keep it as a wishitem and live with the inconsistency
in the mean time.

        Stefan