Re: Why does show_help_echo call substitute_command_keys?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Why does show_help_echo call substitute_command_keys?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:48:13 +0700

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 12:05 AM, Clément Pit-Claudel
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi emacs-devel,
>
> I'm puzzled by this bit of code in show_help_echo:
>
>   if (STRINGP (help) || NILP (help))
>     {
>       if (!NILP (Vshow_help_function))
>         call1 (Vshow_help_function, Fsubstitute_command_keys (help));
>       help_echo_showing_p = STRINGP (help);
>     }

Because the help-echo property is the Emacs API to tooltips, and
tooltips are expected to be able to display keyboard equivalents to
clicking the thing that is pointed?

> This is causing trouble in Flycheck, because we set help-echo properties on
> error spans and we expect them to be displayed without modifications when
> users hover over them.  Is there a way to disable command-key- (and quote-)
> substitution in help-echo strings?

There should probably be a function that knows when and how to quote
the characters that cause such substitution with \=.