Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Adding advisory notification for non-ELPA package.el downloads
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:05:02 -0700

> Delivering freedom to more people takes priority over having more users.

Have you considered that by -- in the short run -- being less
insistent on having everything be 100% free of the "taint" of non-free
software, we might actually be able to mount a better defense against
non-free software advocates (by providing better software), and
thereby deliver freedom to more people in the long run?

But we can agree to disagree on that point. What's more important,
IMO, is avoiding alienating the rest of the community (e.g. MELPA,
people who develop packages outside of the FSF system), since they are
much larger and more powerful than the comparatively small number of
people working on GNU ELPA and Emacs core.

I think that many people have gotten the impression that "in the GNU
Project, delivering freedom to more people takes priority over having
a healthy community". I really don't think that's the case, but you
don't have to look very far to see people drawing such conclusions, as
a result of (for example) some rather heated exchanges on this mailing
list.

So I'll just reiterate that I think the only effective approach is
going to be improving the process of and community around contributing
to GNU ELPA and Emacs, and that if we don't do this first, attempts to
advertise them will only backfire.