Re: i18n/l10n summary

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: i18n/l10n summary
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 01:08:29 +0900

> On Jul 25, 2017, at 0:51, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 00:34:54 +0900
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> So we'd have to create and maintain as many files as there are translations
>
> No, because the file can be auto-generated: its contents is simple and
> known in advance as soon as the target language is specified.

But that's only a trick for one specific case. How is that different from the
code I modified in package.el ?
I've just opened tutorial.el and found that we have functions there that do not
consider English is the default. Why not generalize that ?

> Anyway, I think we should defer adding this directive until we have
> the first translation of the first manual.  It sounds wrong to me to
> make preparations without having even a single client to benefit from
> it.

What I did on package.el was similar. Except for a few obvious errors, the new
strings only benefit potential translators that we'll only have when the elisp
strings are exposed for translation which is even further down the localization
road...

Also, I *am* working on the documentation French translation and that's why I
found about this directive. If you want to see the French manual to consider
adding the directive I'm fine with that, but I honestly consider that as a
punishment rather as an incentive to contribute.

Jean-Christophe