Re: master 2ec8f28: Introduce defcustom 'executable-prefix-env'

From: Andrew L. Moore
Subject: Re: master 2ec8f28: Introduce defcustom 'executable-prefix-env'
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:57:11 -0400

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 12:38 PM, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> PS personally I don't see what was wrong with
>
> (setq executable-prefix "#!/usr/bin/env ")'
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-06/msg00170.html

Glenn,
If you're referring to the patch in it's original form, yes it’s more general,
but I agree with Eli that it’s pretty opaque.

Regarding “deprecation" of the variable `executable-prefix', there’s an argument
for not removing it:  the path of env (i.e., “/usr/bin/env”) is not universal.
On those
systems, the variable `executable-prefix’ would be a fallback.  And indeed, the
updated patch is written so that if the variable `executable-prefix’ is
anything other
than “#!” or “#!/usr/bin/env”,  then it takes precedences over the value of
`executable-prefix-env’.

Okay, that explanation may be approaching opaque too, but if so, then let it be
another argument for simplicity over generality :)
-AM