Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 012487b: * lisp/display-line-numbers.el (displa

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 012487b: * lisp/display-line-numbers.el (display-line-numbers-type): Autoload it.
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 09:37:31 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> We are miscommunicating.  By "the problem" I meant the reason(s) why
>> autoloading a defcustom should be considered undesirable, and by
>> "proposed solutions" the alternatives for making sure a defcustom'd
>> variable is defined when it is needed.
>
> There is no need for the variable to be defined in order to `setq' it,
> which is why a simple (defvar foo) is sufficient here.

In menu-bar.el (the case we are speaking about) and every other package,
which might be interested to modify this variable prior calling the
corresponding autoloaded function. I still don't see why it is better,
to mandate every package using that variable a (defvar foo) .

And if this is better, it must be documented in the manual with a reasoning.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.