Re: movemail

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: movemail
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 17:35:12 +1000

Do we have any figures on the percentage of users on different platforms and of those, how many of them actually need this insecure POP3 functionality?  I would have thought very few users actually need the movemail feature, especially on non-POSIX systems. Also, why is an insecure pop3 process the only solution or is it really the only solution because nobody has put time into a better secure solution?

On 2 August 2017 at 04:46, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 09:18:57 -0700
>
> >> Should we delete the movemail program, given these problems with it?
> > No, because non-Posix systems have no choice but use it.  Gnu
> > Mailutils are blatantly Posix-centric and don't build on anything
> > else.
>
> Instead of deleting movemail, we could change 'configure' so that
> '--without-pop' is the default. This wouldn't affect platforms that use GNU
> Mailutils, and would improve security on other platforms' default installation.

Once again, since the main mass of users of this program seems no
longer to dwell on Posix platforms, please do NOT take away the POP3
option by default.

--
regards,

Tim