Re: Why does make run git?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Why does make run git?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:42:43 -0700

On 08/02/2017 11:31 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
To help improve the situation I propose the attached patch, which
reverts the default ./autogen.sh behavior to be './autogen.sh all', the
way it used to be (briefly). Developers who want autogen.sh to leave
their Git settings alone can continue to use './autogen.sh autoconf'.
AFAIU, doing that will silently force the installation of the
Git-related stuff when I run just "make", and Make decides it needs to
invoke autogen.sh, because the fact that I originally used the
non-default argument isn't recorded anywhere, and thus cannot be
replayed.  Right?

No, if you run Make from a freshly-checked-out directory, Make calls "./autogen.sh all", which sets up Git. The proposed patch doesn't affect this.

And if you run "./autogen.sh autoconf" and then run Make, Make won't set up Git. The proposed patch doesn't affect this either.

The only thing that changes is what happens if you run plain "./autogen.sh".