Re: Friendly discussion about (package-initialize)

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Friendly discussion about (package-initialize)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2017 21:39:44 -0700

> Can someone explain, preferably in concise form, why are we having
> this discussion about in which file to have the call to
> package-initialize

Gladly.

Currently, Emacs has the opinion that you should call
`package-initialize' in your init-file, and it enforces this opinion
by automatically inserting such a call directly into your init-file at
startup, or whenever you initialize the package management system.

I view this behavior as wrong. Other people feel that it is the best
solution to the problem of users putting package configuration in
their init-file, which runs before `package-initialize' is called in
startup.el.

That is why we are having this discussion.

> startup.el already calls that function (as IMO it should)

I disagree, but won't speak further unless you think it will be
relevant to the discussion.

> where did we make the wrong turn with package.el.

When Emacs started modifying the init-file specifically for package.el.

Best,
Radon