Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 20:04:58 -0700

Itai Berli wrote:
I'll appreciate it if someone can walk me through the steps needed to get
up and running....

All the scripts finished successfully. In the end I was able to start the
Emacs GUI from the command line by running

open nextstep/Emacs.app

You've gotten up and running, so it sounds like all you need to do is to learn how to debug.

I normally use gdb under Emacs to debug Emacs. To do that, I run Emacs in the source directory, type the command "M-x gud-gdb RET bootstrap-emacs RET" to get GDB running on a subsidiary instance of Emacs, type the GDB command "b Fexpand_file_name" to plant a breakpoint in (say) Fexpand_file_name, and then type the GDB command "r" to run the Emacs being debugged.