Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra

From: Itai Berli
Subject: Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 13:09:09 +0300

OK, I think I misunderstood Paul's command line "M-x gud-gdb RET bootstrap-emacs RET" as meaning that after executing "M-x gud-gdb RET" the only thing that should appear after the prompt is "bootstrap-emacs", so I deleted the "gdb --full-name" prefix that appeared there automatically. If I keep this prefix, the error reported above doesn't occur. However, now I get the following complaint from gdb:

> No executable file specified.
> Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.

Here's the complete contents of the *gud* buffer.

Current directory is ~/
GNU gdb (GDB) 8.0
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-apple-darwin16.6.0".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
bootstrap-emacs: No such file or directory.
(gdb) b main
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
Breakpoint 1 (main) pending.
(gdb) r
Starting program:
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Itai Berli <address@hidden> wrote:
By the way, the *gud* buffer's first line is

> Current directory is ~/

However, the Emacs source code is in ~/emacs. Maybe this is the problem? But I started Emacs from ~/emacs. How can I set the *gud* buffer's current directory?

Typing "b main<RET>" in the *gud* buffer results in the following error message:

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Itai Berli <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:27:01 +0300
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Paul Eggert wrote:
>
> > type the GDB command "b Fexpand_file_name" to plant a breakpoint in (say) Fexpand_file_name
>
> What do you mean by 'Fexpand_file_name'? The name of a file, or the name of a function?

It's the name of a function.

> Could you give me
> a concrete example? Suppose, for instance, I wish to place a breakpoint at the start of the 'main; function. How
> can I do so?

"b main".  "b" is a short for "break".