Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra

From: Itai Berli
Subject: Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 18:34:08 +0300

> Tell me what you want to do and with what text, and then I might be able to help you do
that in a more useful way.

I just want to get more familiar with the bidi algorithm and the way it is implemented by Emacs. I'd like to try various small phrases, such as the ones that can be found in this article: https://www.w3.org/International/articles/inline-bidi-markup/uba-basics

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Itai Berli <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:42:25 +0300
> Cc: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I have GDB 8.0, so it should work well, right? It appears, though, that there are fewer buttons in the debug
> toolbar when the debugger is started with gdb than when it is started with gud-gdb.

Try "M-x gdb-many-windows RET", maybe you will like the result.

> Eli, which function is the entry point for the bidi module? Where should I set a breakpoint for starters?

The entry point is bidi_get_next_char_visually.  (See the beginning of
bidi.c for this and other information.)

However, setting a simple breakpoint there will cause that breakpoint
be hit all the time, and will therefore be useless.  Tell me what you