Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: EBDB
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 18:03:10 -0700

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>>   > Perhaps apropos of the recent copyright discussions: there's a fair
>>   > bit of BBDB code still in there. I haven't gone through and measured,
>>   > but my top-of-the-head guess is around 15-20%. I've noted this fact in
>>   > the comments sections of the files, including the names of original
>>   > authors where applicable.
>>
>> Alas, this does raise a copyright issue.  To include this in Emacs, we
>> need to get legal papers from all the contributors of code that is
>> still in your version (including you).  With the exception of anyone
>> whose contributions to Emacs (including this package) will be minimal
>> (under 10 lines or so).
>
> Okay, I think I've sorted everything out except for one chunk of one
> file, where I haven't yet been able to contact the author. I think I
> might just take that chunk out for now, and get the package moving. Just
> for background, Roland reminded me of this prior related discussion:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg01888.html
>
> I think I've cleared everything but that one chunk of ebdb-gnus.
>
> If that's okay, I'll do a few more compiler-warning cleanups, and add
> the package as an external.

Okay, I give up: how do you add an external package?

We add the appropriate line to externals-list in the master branch,
right? Then push that? Then create a new branch, in my case
external/ebdb, and put what in it -- anything? Will something
automatically happen if I push that branch to ELPA?

Thanks
Eric