Re: git-handler.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: git-handler.el
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:14:49 +0200

Yuri Khan <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Yuri,

>> A revision oriented view would start with a directory, and not with a
>> file. Let's use lisp/, and revision ef7a18a071

>>   /home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp@@/ef7a18a071:
>>   total 23
>>   -r--r--r-- 1 Michael Albinus UNKNOWN 3922 08-01 10:13
>> display-line-numbers.el
>>   -r--r--r--  1 Michael Albinus   UNKNOWN 109714 08-01 10:13 menu-bar.el
>>
>> (This example I have written manually, it is not implemented yet).
>>
>> In the revision oriented view, we have
>> "/home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp@@/ef7a18a071" being a directory,
>> containing the files which have been modified by this commit.
>
> This will not be sufficient. As a Git user, I frequently want to
> browse the whole repository as of a specific revision. Use case: “Two
> months ago, function foo was changed to call function bar. How did bar
> look at that point?”

You know, that function bar is declared in file baz.el. So you could
inspect the revisions of baz.el by looking into directory
"/home/albinus/src/emacs/lisp/baz.el@@/master" (given you're interested
in branch master).

> Also, in a dired buffer showing src/emacs/lisp@@/ef7a18a071, will
> dired-jump jump to src/emacs@@/ef7a18a071?

Could be, yes. Likely, it needs some adaption of dired-jump (it uses
file-name-directory for traversing the directory path), but why not.

Best regards, Michael.