Re: Refactoring flymake.el

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: Refactoring flymake.el
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 09:59:10 +0800

Hi João,

On 2017-08-17 15:40 +0100, João Távora wrote:
> I've been away from this list and away from hacking for a while now, but
> I thought I'd return with a modest proposal for refactoring flymake.el
> and making it more useful to users and also third-party extensions.
>
> Specifically, I'm thinking of separating its UI and from its
> diagnostics-generating backends. Currently the latter rely purely on
> lanching external processes and examining their output, but recent
> experimentations with the LSP (Language Server Protocol) showed that to
> not always be the case. Another example is Elisp itself, which is
> syntax-checkable without an external tool.

Thank you for working on this.

I originally asked to maintain flymake.el because I wanted to make it
work better with https://github.com/massemanet/distel (which is slime
for Erlang) for syntax checking. But I have done little to maintain
flymake :( There are a few comments on desirable changes to flymake on
this thread
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-12/msg00215.html.

Cheers,
Leo