Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Alex
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 10:37:59 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I myself cannot say I like the idea of Emacs
> creating an init file in the user's home directory.

If you're only uncomfortable with Emacs creating that init file
automatically, how about having an Emacs command that creates a template
init file for the user?

There could be a link (and perhaps keybinding) on the splash
screen/tutorial, where Emacs could ask the user a few questions and
create an init file for the user. Possible questions include:

Would you like this file in ~/ or ~/.emacs.d (.emacs vs init.el)?

Would you like to change some defaults? (This could help out with the
(IMO correct) notion that Emacs has some poor defaults while leaving
those alone for users that don't use this template.)

Would you like to use a separate file for `custom-file'?

Would you like to set up the package system?

I believe that this would be a step forward in accommodating new users.