Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 10:21:17 -0700

> > The `package--ensure-init-file' logic will be removed, and package.el
> > will not ever directly modify the user's init-file.
>
> I already argued why I think this is a non-starter.

Could you repeat the gist of that argument here, please? I just
skimmed the previous thread again, and the only thing I found that
sounds like an argument against removing `package--ensure-init-file'
is that it would disadvantage users who already have an init-file and
start using package.el. But I already addressed this argument in the
first bullet point of the "Disadvantages" section of my email
beginning this thread.