Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 05:04:58 -0400

> I think we should instead explore the possibility that
> package-initialize will be called only in startup.el.

I think this is unlikely to work well.  I think a better long-term ideal
situation is either:

- call package-initialize before reading ~/.emacs (this will require
  finding some way to handle the case where the user wants to change
  package.el's configuration in his .emacs).
- call package-initialize automatically when needed, by having a more
  declarative way to configure packages in ~/.emacs.

The first approach looks easier from where I sit, but that's just
a gut feeling.

In the short term, we can tweak the current approach so that
package--ensure-init-file is called in fewer cases.  E.g. only call it
during package installation rather than at Emacs startup.

        Stefan