Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:47:19 +0200

On 2017-08-21 18:34, Radon Rosborough wrote:

>>> I think this is unlikely to work well.
>>
>> As I said, we should explore this in more detail, and have a detailed
>> and agreed-upon list of reasons why it's not TRT.
>
> PROPOSITION: Calling `package-initialize' only in startup.el is
> impossible without one of the following consequences:
>
>   1. It is impossible to customize `package-load-list' and
>      `package-user-dir'.
>   2. We must add a second init-file.
>   3. The user cannot add package customizations to their init-file
>      without using `after-init-hook'.
>   4. Packages are not activated automatically.
>

> Can someone find a hole in this reasoning?

I can't find an obvious flaw. But I wouldn't find it bad if customizing
package-user-dir and package-load-list required an extra call to
package-initialize — except for the fact that the first package-initialize call
would have loaded everything already from the wrong user-dir, which is indeed
an issue.