Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Timur Aydin
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:37:59 +0300

On 8/21/2017 7:34 PM, Radon Rosborough wrote:
PROPOSITION: Calling `package-initialize' only in startup.el is
impossible without one of the following consequences:

   1. It is impossible to customize `package-load-list' and
      `package-user-dir'.
   2. We must add a second init-file.
   3. The user cannot add package customizations to their init-file
      without using `after-init-hook'.
   4. Packages are not activated automatically.

On what ground was item 2. dismissed in previous discussions? If there is an init file specific to the package manager, it seems to me that all problems go away. The only disadvantage is that there is an extra init file now. I think this is a small price to pay to solve all of the nasty issues that come with trying to use the "one and only" emacs init file. Could somebody please summarize why it's such a fundamental rule that there can only be one emacs init file?

--
Timur