Re: Licence of ts-comint

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Licence of ts-comint
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 16:16:31 -0400

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 08/22/2017 10:33 AM, John Yates wrote:
>>
>> Reminds me of the importance a population
>> experiencing widespread famine
​ ​
attaches
​
>> freedom of the press.
>>
> a free press and other democratic institutions help combat the threat of famine. For more, please see Amartya Sen's writings on the topic.
 Sen was inspired by the Bengal famine of 1943, which killed three million people
I am well aware that a free press is one means of buttressing good governance.  I am unfamiliar with Amartya Sen's writing nor the history of the Indian famine of 1943.

I note that you wrote "help combat the threat of" not "solve" famine.​
I would
​have been
 surprised if you
​attempted to argue
 that parents
​ desperately​
trying to
​provide​
 for starving children demonstrate much awareness or interest in the presence or lack of a free press.
​​
Perhaps I should have invoked Maslov's hierarchy of needs.