Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Licence of ts-comint

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Licence of ts-comint
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 21:36:35 -0700

> To a first approximation, in my experience, weak licenses are promoted
> by people who don't like to say "free software" (and even less talk
> about software freedom) while people who use the word "free software" or
> "software freedom" will usually promote the GPL.

There are also those people who will argue that weak licenses are
"more free" than the GPL because they allow the licensee more freedom
of use and distribution.

I don't think you can say it's black and white: you have to trade off
the freedom of the licensee against the freedom of the sublicensee. If
you think the freedom of the licensee is more important, you'll prefer
a weak license; if you think the freedom of the sublicensee is more
important, you'll prefer the GPL.