Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Summary and next steps for (package-initialize)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 22:17:09 +0300

Of your two reasons:

A. Yes, it's going to be annoying for two fractions of users, the targeted fraction - that is the beginners who didn't set up package.el right and old timers during some rare moments of messing with their configs. For the later this annoyance would be much rarer than the current situation... And I too would have preferred just removing any additions, but my proposal seems like an OK compromise.

B. That other package manager should set the variable that suppresses the message either within itself or within its recommended configuration blob that you paste in your init.

And I don't care about batch mode completely. If you're using batch mode, than you know what you're doing.

As for writing package-initialize - well, in case you a)don't use package.el and b)don't use any other package manager and c)don't suppress the proposed message manually, it's pretty safe to assume that you don't have much of init anyway and you're our intended target.

This whole discussion started  because we don't want package.el doing that.
No, we don't want to write to init, but writing vars to custom is pretty normal and used by many packages. It's just that we can't solve package-initialize by writing to custom.

You're going to mucking around with one of the
  most fundamental parts of the Elisp interpreter (namely, function
  calls) just for the sake of the package manager.
I'm just proposing to tweak error handling, that's it. While you're proposing to add another init file. And we're not talking about the sake of a package manager, we're talking about upgrading experience of a very limited subset of users(only those new users who haven't yet acquired the skill of copy-pasting magic spells into their init). So, while this is somewhat ambitious, adding another init just for that is even more so.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev