Re: Interoperation between package managers

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Interoperation between package managers
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 22:39:14 +0300

Hello.

For long term, I think Emacs would need to implement something along those lines:

Let's say we have feature-lookup-list, that contains feature lookup functions. Each function returns either the feature, or nil. When looking for a feature we call each lookup function one by one until we get a positive or run out of handlers. So the first function would be file-feature-lookup, using load-path. Then we get one for package.el. And of course the first time package.el lookup handler is called, it does (package-initialize). In such system you can just cut out package.el lookup handler from feature-lookup-list to disable it, and each alternative package manager would just need to provide such function.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev