Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Licence of ts-comint

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Licence of ts-comint
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 18:50:07 -0400

  > To a first approximation, in my experience, weak licenses are promoted
  > by people who don't like to say "free software" (and even less talk
  > about software freedom) while people who use the word "free software" or
  > "software freedom" will usually promote the GPL.

You've said that "not copyleft" usually implies "don't say free
software" and "say free software" usually implies "copyleft".  Those
two statements are equivalent.

But the converse is not true.  There are companies that don't
particularly care about freedom, and don't say "free software", but do
release code under the GNU GPL as part of their business model.

They don't support our ideals, but their practical support does help.

--
Dr Richard Stallman