Re: Disable Mouse Wheel Progressive Speed Patch

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Disable Mouse Wheel Progressive Speed Patch
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 09:03:57 +0200

On 2017-08-28 03:23, Sarah Sunday wrote:
> This makes the initial behavior closer to that of other editors: no
> progressive scrolling speed. It feels like an option that should be
> opt-in rather than opt-out, which is why I've changed it to be off
> by default.

> Even after the fix has been implemented, I would say keep it default
> off as it really feels like something the user would need to
> configure to compliment their mouse resolution/set-up instead of
> Emacs assuming for them. But that bridge can be crossed when it gets
> to that point.

I don't strongly oppose a change of default, but wouldn't it be better to
improve the scrolling implementation to make the acceleration more subtle,
rather than turn it off entirely?

I'd expect most smartphone users to be familiar with accelerated scrolling,
since it's a common feature in mobile browsers and and other applications.  And
I'm a bit wary about requiring users to do complex adjustments to their mouse
configuration.

IOW, I agree good defaults would be nice, but I'm not sure "off" is one.

Clément