Re: [ELPA] New package: Auto Capitalize Mode

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: Auto Capitalize Mode
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 07:29:37 +0000

   Uwe> Are you aware of auto-capitalize-mode by Kevin Rodgers, it is
   Uwe> more than 10 years old and very sophisticated. Maybe you have a
   Uwe> look, since you might reinvent the wheel.

   > I am aware of it. I tried it before writing my version, but I can't
   > remember what issues I encountered with it that made me not like it.
   > After a brief trial, the big difference I see is it not handling
   > *This* or /This/ in Org mode sentences, which is a big deal to me. I
   > use the same formatting in my custom writing mode, so when writing
   > internal dialogue (for which I use italics), I want the dialogue to be
   > capitalized.

Ok, I put quite some time ago auto-capitalize-mode, with the permission
to MELPA. Maybe it would be good to chose a slightly different name,
although I admit right now, nothing really neat pops up in my mind. But
Kevin's auto-capitalize-mode is 20 years, so people might be confused if
a very different implementation with the same name pops up.

   > One feature of mine that's absent in that one is the ability for a
   > user to specify a sentence start function. I've found this exceedingly
   > helpful in every mode. I can specify a function to check for a comment
   > in programming modes, the start of a list or heading in Org mode, and
   > the start of the input line in chat modes. The way Rodgers's version
   > is implemented, such a feature isn't possible.

One thing which was a considerable headache, but could be solved in
Kevin's version concerned  letters in math formula in latex (auctex) mode.
For example

\[
\sum_{i=1}^n A_i
\]