Re: [ELPA] New package: Auto Correct Mode

From: Ian Dunn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: Auto Correct Mode
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 21:04:29 -0400

    >> (if auto-correct-mode (run-hooks
    >> 'auto-correct-activate-functions) (run-hooks
    >> 'auto-correct-deactivate-functions)))

    Stefan> BTW, these are regular hooks (i.e. called with no arguments
    Stefan> and only for their side-effects), so their name should
    Stefan> preferably end in "-hook" than in "-functions".

    Stefan> Also, note that `auto-correct-mode` already runs (thanks to
    Stefan> `define-minor-mode`) `auto-correct-mode-hook` every time the
    Stefan> mode is changed (enabled or disabled), so the above two
    Stefan> hooks aren't indispensable.

    Stefan> E.g. you could use the patch below or simplify further by
    Stefan> changing auto-correct--add/remove-support to only take a
    Stefan> single argument.  Or by dropping this altogether since the
    Stefan> third party could simply add itself to auto-correct-hook
    Stefan> directly, since that's a standard interface for minor modes.

I took it one step further and collapsed add/remove-support into just
handle-support.  I also changed it to take a function of one argument that
indicates whether to activate or deactivate support.

I don't want to remove the support function entirely, since it's also got the
virtue of handling activation/deactivation when it gets called.  Thus, flyspell
support will be immediately deactivated when I set the customization variable
to nil, or when some other package calls it for support.

Thanks for your input.

--
Ian Dunn