Re: Proposals for fixing package-initialize

From: Howard Melman
Subject: Re: Proposals for fixing package-initialize
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 12:41:39 -0400

FWIW, I'm a 30+ year user of emacs. I'm comfortable writing
elisp and reading emacs elisp source but have never dived
into the C source and am a little behind on the newer
trendier packages.

When I started using package.el I ran into the common
problem and had to figure out to add (package-initialize) to
my init and thought it was clunky. When I read the reason
for me to do this I immediately wondered why it didn't work
like Proposal B. I've never felt the need to customize
package.el so I haven't had to change anything since.

But I wanted to point out another advantage of Proposal B,
it's obvious to semi-advanced users.

--

Howard