What triggers a redisplay when no command or timer?

From: Keith David Bershatsky
Subject: What triggers a redisplay when no command or timer?
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 21:57:26 -0700

I would like to insert a GLYPH_DEBUG message into xdisp.c to let me know that
"UNKNOWN" triggered a redisplay when there is no command and/or timer function
at issue.

Step 1:  On OSX (and maybe other Emacs OS builds), start GUI version of master
branch built with Glyph Debug support.

Step 2:  Turn off blink-cursor-mode.

Step 3:  Remove the jit-lock timer function with (setq timer-idle-list nil)

Step 4:  Check the timer-list and timer-idle-list to ensure they are nil.

Step 5:  M-x trace-redisplay

Step 6:  Wait 1 to 2 minutes and watch how a redisplay is triggered with
nothing more helpful than a singular `redisplay_internal 0` message.

I would also like to please understand what this "UNKNOWN" event is and where
it comes from.

Thanks,

Keith