Re: release bugs [was Re: Processed: enriched.el code execution]

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: release bugs [was Re: Processed: enriched.el code execution]
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 00:11:20 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
marking bugs as blocking and their
urgency are two different and almost independent issues.

They are different but not that independent. Urgent bugs are considerably more likely to be blocking (i.e., they should be fixed before the next release) than non-urgent bugs are.

so why bother to mark any bug as blocking?
Because it helps in management of a release.  It's a managerial tool.

Yes, of course. It's just that this particular bug is severe enough that it should be fixed before the next release. I'm even becoming to be inclined to think that it should be backported to the *previous* release, and I *hate* doing that sort of thing.