Re: call-process blocks the active thread

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: call-process blocks the active thread
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 18:36:17 +0800

On 8 September 2017 at 15:01, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 11:00:42 +0800
>
> As it turns out, ‘call-process’ hangs all of Emacs while the external program is run.

No, it hangs the calling thread, and the other threads wait for the
calling thread to yield.  To avoid that, use start-process instead.

This is not a bug.

I'm not entirely sure why you feel that distinction is important. At the end of the day, it's ‘start-process’ that doesn't yield while the external process runs. Is there a reason why it can't be changed so that it does?

Regards,
Elias