Re: Face to face

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Face to face
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 12:31:53 -0500

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>This evening I had the most enjoyable privilege of being able to spend time
>with Stefan Monnier at a tavern in Oxford, UK. It made us both realize how
>valuable it is to interact with people in person; it changes how we read what
>they write online, and what we think they're thinking when they write it.
>
>During our many conversations, we thought: what if we had an Emacs Developer's
>Meetup, for people to come together from emacs-devel, so that many of us --
>who have been corresponding about Emacs for years -- could get to know these
>people who have been a part of our lives for so long?
>
>Where could such a meeting happen? When? Could we get Richard and Eli and some
>of the other past maintainers to join us?
>
>Just some thoughts,

Even though I don't have much time to do Emacs development these days <sad
face>, I would still try hard to come to such a meetup.  Meeting in person is
indeed very important (at least for some people it is).  I might even try to
use it as an emotional crutch to help me put Emacs fixes higher among other
competing priorities :-).  It's easier to decide to spend time on something
when it is associated with the pleasure of working with people I know in person.

So, strong +1, and thanks for suggesting it.

Best regards,
-Karl