Re: GCC 7 warnings

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: GCC 7 warnings
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 13:30:02 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Since --enable-gcc-warnings is on by default for building the
development version, it needs to build relatively cleanly with a
reasonably recent GCC.  It's okay to have the code ready for the
bleeding edge, but if that triggers warnings with slightly older GCC,
it's counter-productive IMO, because asking developers to use GCC
which is too new might waste their time due to GCC bugs.  GCC 6 or 5
is not yet old enough to cause those who use them such trouble.

GCC 5.4 is OK. I still test with it, at times. Not sure it's worth going back further than that though, for developers.

I don't use bleeding-edge GCC, which is GCC 8 (not released yet). I haven't even upgraded yet to the latest stable release, 7.2.0. So I'm not really bleeding-edge.

In my experience GCC 7 is more reliable than older versions, for compiling C programs. I don't recommend using GCC 8 for production, though.

The point of the May 2016 cleanup was to remove gorp like UNINIT (and it is admittedly awkward) when GCC had gotten smart enough that the gorp wasn't needed. Unfortunately there is no easy way to make UNINIT's syntax C-like, at least not with current GCC. In the meantime UNINIT's technical advantages outweigh its stylistic awkwardness.