Re: New hook before-region-change-functions wanted

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: New hook before-region-change-functions wanted
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 18:21:57 -0400

> `widen' is physically a separate function from `narrow-to-region'.

It currently isn't implemented by calling narrow-to-region, but that's
just a technical detail: it behaves exactly like

    (defun widen () (narrow-to-region 1 (1+ (buffer-size))))

> As I see it, there is no such thing as "hard" or "soft" narrowing.

Indeed, the issue of soft-vs-hard narrowing can also be looked at in
a different way, and maybe the best way to solve it will not involve
changing narrowing at all.  Of Then again, maybe it will.

> Incidentally, I've now posted a patch for bug #22983.  I'm interested in
> what you think of it.

I'll try and look at it soon, thank you,

        Stefan